Thursday, October 13, 2005

Scandal – Did Shiv Malik Justify 9/11?

Just got some interesting info about the journalist Shiv Malik – I was in discussion with a senior member of HT who had found some interesting information about him. I thought it would be useful as it completely discredits the guys journalistic credentials.

Just some background….

Shiv Malik is a Leeds graduate who has worked on recent articles for the Independent on Sunday and New Statesman. His claims to fame are "outing" Dilpazier Aslam, the Guardian trainee, and also calling a lot of other employers to inform them that they are employing members of Hizb ut-Tahrir. He has also written disparaging articles about other Islamic groups including Young Muslims and Islamic Society of Britain. He has employed some very underhand tactics in writing these articles – for example calling up and claiming to be someone else. He has also printed complete lies in some of his articles – he says for example that HT members joined the Territorial Army.

He has also recycled again and again the ridiculous "conveyor belt" theory, created by the neo-cons in the USA – that HT are some sort of "conveyor belt" for terror because they call for the peaceful establishment of an Islamic Caliphate and just by calling for such a state they are a recruiting sergeant for AQ. His expediency is amazing – in his article in the New Statesman back in September 2004 he referred to the "enthused, informed debate" of HT study circles but in an article in the Independent on Sunday on 7 August 2005 these had become "indoctrination cells". His article said "Hizb ut-Tahrir is a real threat to society"; not at all his conclusion back in September 2004. It seems that his opportunism and attempt to use the Muslim community and groups to get up the career ladder knows no bounds.

Back to the interesting information…

On the 17th of September 2001, before the blood of the victims of 9/11 had even dried, Mr Malik posted the following heartless comment on the Indymedia website:

https://www2.indymedia.org.uk/en/2001/09/11599.html
Worlds gone crazy
17.09.2001 02:32

The world has gone crazy. 5000 businessmen and military personnel die and suddenly we are at war. With, whom? In what way? With a prime suspect who no one has any proof of guilt and who himself denies responsibility. More people die each day from starvation or bad water as a result of IMF loans yet were are all the three minute silences for them. Over 1.5 million children have died in Iraq as a direct result of the American imposed embargo. Which CNN viewer knows their suffering, much longer and much more painful?

It is sickening watching countries who poured vitriol on the U.S. in their daily papers for years, suddenly Kowtowing to it’s demands and sending in messages of condolences. It is disgusting watching the press of the supposedly “free and civilised” world printing such obvious propaganda and attempting to rile masses to whatever cause the Whitehouse may choose. Where are those questions like “why did this happen”? Why is the press simply Muslim bashing? Where’s all the reflection that’s supposed to happen at a time like this? Why is no one noticing what’s happening in Palestine?
Someone needs some sense right now. S.M.

shiv Malik
e-mail: ShivMalik@hotmail.com


He expresses these views that now seem at odds with the journalistic witch hunt he has been conducting in the Muslim community. Is he trying to "justify" these attacks by drawing comparisons to the number killed by the embargo in Iraq? He finds it sickening that countries are "sending in messages of condolences" – well would he rather these countries send messages of admiration – "serves you right"???

He finally asks "why is press simply Muslim bashing?" – Good question Mr Malik – we are waiting for an explanation from you for your "Muslim bashing".

The weird thing is that since the senior member of HT told me about this, it has now disappeared from the Indymedia site – the link is still there if you search for "shiv malik" on the main page, but is now inaccessible.

Any way, using the Wayback Machine, his views are still on there [be careful he may try and delete them] - http://web.archive.org/web/20041026051616/http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2001/09/11599.html

The Internet is such a wonderful thing!

May be Muslims should now start writing to the Editor of the Independent on Sunday [t.davies@independent.co.uk] or the New Statesman [john@jkampfner.net]. Will we now start to see headlines that say "IoS journalist sacked for justifying 9/11"?

Will the real Shiv Malik please stand up!!??

13 Comments:

Anonymous Aaisha E said...

This is amazing! It is truly a scandal! I'd be interested to know if anyone has heard Shiv Malik's response to these allegations - does he accept that he wrote those remarks?

If an allegation of anti-Semitism was enough to get Aslam chucked out the Guardian, then heads need to roll over this at the Independent on Sunday

12:05 pm  
Anonymous SHIV MALIK said...

I generally dislike engaging with debates on the web for perhaps obvious reasons. As I have offered to many other commentators who make critical remarks about me, set up a public debate and I will accept an offer to be questioned about anything in my life that has been within the public domain. I have done so on the Islam Channel and I also took HT apart in a recent debate that they organised. I have no qualms about doing so again.

I am quite happy to explain anything that is put to me and at the moment I don't see how my previous views- when I was 20- and my views now are incoherent, contradictory or irreconcilable.

Email me at smmblue@yahoo.com and I will respond as promptly as possible.

Regards,

Shiv Malik

3:19 am  
Anonymous aaisha e said...

You haven't really responded to these charges will all respect.

I am really interested in this recent debate where you took "HT apart" - I am no supporter of HT but want journalists to be more responsible in their reporting of Muslim groups.

I know there was a debate organised by Prospect Magazine - is that the one you are referring to - as I have heard accounts from colleagues who attended it, whose account of your performance differs significantly from what you are suggesting.

4:00 am  
Anonymous Helen Warley said...

Shiv - although you feel that your previous views (when you were 20) are not contradictory, with your current views, a lot of people, especially Muslim friends, feel that there is a degree of hypocrisy exhibited by your comments.

From where I stand, it seems that you have a lot of work to do, to rebuild your reputation with the Muslim community at this time.

4:49 am  
Anonymous Allan Jones said...

In response to aaisha - I don't think "heads need to roll" but certainly there needs to be some greater accountability when journalists address sensitive topics like this - this is exactly what the press release announcing the launch of this forum called for.

I think Mr Malik's inexperience [he is in his early 20s I gather] probably accounts for many of the mistakes he has made - we all make mistakes like this early in our careers.

4:53 am  
Blogger Ahmed T said...

I am heartened by the response and many messages of support that we are receiving for this new blog.

I have already been contacted by a couple of media outlets who are interested in running a story on Shiv Malik's previous comments. Apparently they have tried to contact him for comment but have not been successful to date.

Obviously, the Shiv Malik experience is just one issue - we want the discussion to be much wider so that all forms of poor journalism are exposed.

4:56 am  
Anonymous Shane Jones said...

How do we know for sure that those comments on Indymedia were from the same "Shiv Malik"?

Could Shiv Malik confirm whether or not he did make those comments, and then we can discuss the appropriateness, etc. of them?

5:11 am  
Anonymous SHIV MALIK said...

Again like I say above this I generally dislike engaging with debates on the web for perhaps obvious reasons. I also don't want to waste anybody’s time responding to these allegations in a piecemeal fashion. I'm sure we are all busy people, so let's do this efficiently.

So again, as I have offered to many other commentators who make critical remarks about me, set up a public debate and I will accept an offer to be questioned about anything in my life that has been within the public domain.

In regards to explaining my comments, no one from the media has contacted me in the last two weeks except BBC News 24 and I had to decline due because of short notice. But I generally have no problem with rehashing all of Hizb's website remarks such as: "The Jews… are a poisoned dagger thrust into the heart of the Islamic Ummah and evil cancerous gland which spreads deep within the Islamic countries".

Nor do I mind talking about the effects of Hizb anti-integrationist literature such as: "We should not become integrated into the corrupt Western society and accept their diseased notions of democracy, freedom and Capitalism".

If no one responds- as is usually the case- then I will simply start posting whole Hizb tracts and let HT explain my points for me.

Email me at smmblue@yahoo.com and I will respond as promptly as possible.

Regards,

Shiv Malik

8:05 am  
Blogger Ahmed T said...

Mr Malik - you seem to have missed the point - this is not about HT, although it seems you are really eager to quote them.

There are other forums for discussing HT and what they stand for. You can use those forums for discussing that. This forum is for exposing cases of poor journalism and commending cases of good journalism.

However, this posting is about comments that are being attributed to you.

Have you made these comments or not?

That is what we all want to know.

8:14 am  
Anonymous SHIV MALIK said...

Again like I say above this I generally dislike engaging with debates on the web for perhaps obvious reasons. I also don't want to waste anybody’s time responding to these allegations in a piecemeal fashion. I'm sure we are all busy people, so let's do this efficiently.

So again, as I have offered to many other commentators who make critical remarks about me, set up a public debate and I will accept an offer to be questioned about anything in my life that has been within the public domain.

Will you or won't you accept an invitation to debate these matters publicly? If not then I don’t think you can expect me to respond continuously to whatever you put forward.

8:31 am  
Blogger Ahmed T said...

This is a public debate and I think our readers now have your answer.

8:33 am  
Anonymous SHIV MALIK said...

Just to add it's hard to say that this is about good or poor journalism when you've named the thing after me (flattered though I am).

I'm guessing that it is in small part something to do with the things I write, the main substance of which at the moment, revolves around Islamism and HT.

8:34 am  
Blogger Khalid said...

does a media whore and fool taken for a ride by a con artist retain or even have ANY SHRED of journalistic credibility especially after this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/feb/09/uksecurity-july7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t3uw2nZ7kY

5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home